For reliable detection, monitoring, alerting & control of hydrocarbon leaks and spills
Oil-on-Water Detection and Monitoring Systems
Hydrocarbon spills are every plant operator’s nightmare.
They can cause environmental damage, expensive clean-up, government fines, costly downtime and financial risks in the Millions.
The serious implications are both financial and environmental.
Facilities must meet country-specific regulations and requirements, develop countermeasure plans, and provide for early warning of operational process failures that can spill oil. Leak detection systems that are reliable 24/7 are a must.
Agar Environmental, a leader in Electromagnetic Energy Absorption detectors, has developed Leakwise oil-on-water detection and monitoring systems, to help you detect, monitor, measure, alert and control hydrocarbon spills. Using Leakwise will save you money and regulatory difficulties.
A Leakwise system consists of a sensor and a controller.
The sensor is a floating device that sits flat on the water surface. It uses a patented Electromagnetic Energy Absorption Technique.
The energy is introduced to the upper layer of the water. Since water absorbs more electromagnetic energy than hydrocarbons, changes in the absorption rate of the water indicate the presence or buildup of a hydrocarbon layer.
How Leakwise Systems Work
The sensor continuously sends the measured signal to the processor, which in turn determines if there is a presence of hydrocarbon and its’ thickness.
The processor then activates your chosen alerts and controls according to easily adjustable sensitivity settings.
Leakwise sensors can detect the presence of as little as 0.3 mm of hydrocarbon on water. Detection is immediate upon oil contact with the sensor, which fully complies with the 30 seconds requirement of FM Class 7745 standard.
All Leakwise sensors can distinguish between water, hydrocarbon and no-liquid condition.
Some Leakwise sensors can be used to detect oil spills in applications where the containment area may be dry. Oil/Water emulsions will also be detected.
Leakwise oil thickness sensors are optimized for linear measurement of thick oil layers on water, up to 200 mm oil thickness.
Leakwise controllers display system status on the front panel, and interface to user’s control center via relay contacts, 4-20mA, Modbus and wireless messaging.
Advantages of Leakwise systems
• Continuous on-line monitoring with self-diagnostics.
• Certified for operation in hazardous areas. The sensors are Intrinsically Safe.
• Proven long-term reliability – Leakwise provides reliable early detection of oil leaks or spills even if the sensor is coated with dirt or oil, or there are variations in water salinity, temperature, liquid level or liquid turbulence.
• Easy installation and setup.
• Low maintenance – With Leakwise there are no parts to replace and the sensor operates essentially maintenance free over extended periods of time.
• Versatility – Leakwise is available in several application-specific models, that can be easily installed in sumps, retaining tanks or other containments. Agar Environmental will help you select the system that will best fit your application.
• Thickness measurement – Leakwise not only detects hydrocarbon sheens, but can measure the buildup of hydrocarbon layers in the range of:
0.3 to 20 mm, 0.3 to 25 mm, 1 to 100mm, or 1 to 200 mm.
• Alarms – Leakwise can initiate visual or audible alarms, messages and controls at setpoints that you can easily adjust.
• Controls – Leakwise can activate skimmers, discharge pumps, shutoff or diverter valves, or other containment controls with remote or local relay contacts.
Advantages of Leakwise systems
The acception of performance and reliability of Leakwise systems have resulted in widespread use in the following industries and applications:
• Oil & petrochemical
• Power generation & distribution
• Water supply
For many years, Leakwise systems have provided our customers all over the globe with continuous reliable service. Leakwise is the obvious choice for compliance with regulations.
Although complying with regulatory requirements can be expensive, costly fines in the Millions of Dollars, the cost of environmental clean-up, repairs, downtime and negative publicity can be even greater.
So why take the risk?
With Leakwise, you have control over potentially costly oil spills with a system that is versatile, reliable, easy to install, easy to use and requires low maintenance.
With Leakwise working for you 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, you can rest assure that you will spot hydrocarbon leaks immediately, before they become a serious problem.
These are just a few words about how Leakwise will help you.